I'm confused with Electrify America VF8 charge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

castorOIl1024

Reaction score
Hoping someone can help me decipher a recent Electrify America charge. Just topped up my VF8 from 20% to 80% at a Level 3 charger, and the session report says I used 95 kWh! That seems way off, since the battery is only 85 kWh. Ended up paying $39 for the 45-minute charge, which also feels a bit high.

Is the car or the station miscalculating something here? I'm trying to understand the bill and make sure I'm not getting charged extra!

Hoping someone can help me decipher a recent Electrify America charge. Just topped up my VF8 from 20% to 80% at a Level 3 charger, and the session report says I used 95 kWh! That seems way off, since the battery is only 85 kWh. Ended up paying $39 for the 45-minute charge, which also feels a bit high.

Is the car or the station miscalculating something here? I'm trying to understand the bill and make sure I'm not getting charged extra!

frustrating bill. Using 95 kWh when your battery is 85 kWh does seem off. you went from 20% to 80%. It might be a glitch with the charger or the station's software. did you check with the VF Support and EA Support?? $39 for 45 minutes is steep. Definitely, reach out to Electrify America and checking in with VinFast support to see what’s going on! What are they doing there? 😭

Something doesn't seem right. The 85 kWh battery in your VF8 should have only needed 51 kWh (60% of 85 kWh). Yet, you charged it from 20% to 80%. It's odd that the charger says 95 kWh have been used. It's possible that Electrify America is wrongly estimating how much energy is being used. The charging station may have used more kWh than it should have because of inefficiencies or heat loss. Like slow connections and systems on their end?

I would call Electrify America to find out what was going on and go over the session details. The station might have also overestimated how much energy it sent, in which case they might give you the difference back if it was their mistake.

really strange. that shouldn't be pulling 95 kWh if your battery is only 85 kWh and you went from 20% to 80%. You might want to check the details of the charging session again and get in touch with Electrify America to make things clear. Might be a glitch? Chargers can sometimes estimate too much because they aren't working as well as they could. but that sounds a lot. It does look like the price is a bit high for what you got. They should be able to fix this and give you a refund if they need to! 💪

With an 85 kWh battery and only charging from 20% to 80%, you should have used closer to 50-55 kWh max. So 95 kWh does sound off. It’s possible that there were energy losses due to inefficiency or station miscalculation. A price of $39 for that session also seems high, definitely not what you'd expect for a partial charge.
I’d suggest reaching out to Electrify America’s customer service to clarify this, it could be an issue on their end. They’ve been pretty responsive in the past about things like this. I got help from them a couple of months ago 😅

Join the VinFast VF 6 and VF 7 Community

Support, tutorials, and a friendly community

Back