Optimizing VF8 Charging in Summer Heat!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllanDonald

Reaction score
You know what's been driving me crazy lately? My car's acting all wonky when it comes to charging, especially with summer just around the corner. My garage has turned into a sauna and it feels like my car's on turtle mode when I try to juice it up in there. So I did a little experiment and guess what? Charging it outside the garage cut down the time big time compared to the baking session inside. Left it in the garage overnight and it was still crawling to 90%. But once I moved it outside, bam, charging time slashed and the battery cooled down too. Lesson learned - summer charging's all about that fresh air, folks. Anyone else dealing with this or have some secret summer charging tricks to share?

There's someone here that's been complaining about that as well. That's actually pretty common since high temps can affect charging speed. But as long as it's charging, I don't really mind if it's slow ;)

You know what's been driving me crazy lately? My car's acting all wonky when it comes to charging, especially with summer just around the corner. My garage has turned into a sauna and it feels like my car's on turtle mode when I try to juice it up in there. So I did a little experiment and guess what? Charging it outside the garage cut down the time big time compared to the baking session inside. Left it in the garage overnight and it was still crawling to 90%. But once I moved it outside, bam, charging time slashed and the battery cooled down too. Lesson learned - summer charging's all about that fresh air, folks. Anyone else dealing with this or have some secret summer charging tricks to share?
It's curious that moving the car outside helped speed up charging. The overwhelming heat definitely messes with battery performance, especially during summer. I’ve noticed the same with my VF8, batteries really hate heat, and garages can get pretty toasty. One trick I’ve picked up is parking in the shade if possible and charging in the early morning or later in the evening when it’s cooler. Some people even set up a portable fan in their garage for airflow.

Keep those batteries chill, and you’ll get more efficient charging for sure! 😍

cool experiment! I wouldn’t have thought to compare charging inside vs. outside the garage. I’ve been wondering if extreme temperatures affect charging speed, and this pretty much confirms it. Have you considered maybe installing a ventilation system or a cooling fan in your garage to help with the heat? It could help prevent the overheating issue without needing to park outside all the time. Either way, I’m definitely going to try charging outside when the temps start climbing! Thanks dude! 😎

Summer charging can be a pain, especially when the garage turns into a furnace. Heat makes the battery management system slow things down to protect the cells. Your trick of moving it outside makes total sense. If parking outside isn't always an option, maybe try cracking the garage door open for airflow or setting up a fan near the charging port to keep things cool. I’ve seen a few people use small garage cooling units for this exact reason. Also, charging later at night when the temps drop could help too. Stay cool 😁

summer heat and EV charging is such a struggle! I’ve noticed similar stuff with my VF8, whenever it gets too hot, the charging time just drags. I never thought about moving the car outside though, that’s a great idea! I usually just let it charge overnight, but sometimes it still takes forever when the garage is roasting. I’ll try your trick next time. Oh, and maybe tossing a fan in the garage to cool it down could help too. Thanks for sharing the tip, gonna give it a shot for sure!

Have you checked the temp of the battery itself? If it gets too hot, it may slow down the charging process. Some EVs include built-in cooling systems to prevent overheating.

Join the VinFast VF 6 and VF 7 Community

Support, tutorials, and a friendly community

Back