Front or rear charging port?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
VinFast's front-mounted charging port has me curious! Most EVs have the port in the back, like a gas cap. Does location (front vs. rear) affect charging cord length or standardization? Seems like centering the port, front or rear, might make the most sense. Anyone else have thoughts on this? or is it more about design preference?

VinFast's front-mounted charging port has me curious! Most EVs have the port in the back, like a gas cap. Does location (front vs. rear) affect charging cord length or standardization? Seems like centering the port, front or rear, might make the most sense. Anyone else have thoughts on this? or is it more about design preference?
With the upcoming adoption of NACS, I think they might relocate it.

Yes, the port on the front does take some getting used to, right? But to be honest, I've really liked how convenient it is, especially when I pull up to charging stations. You don't have to back up or make weird angles anymore; you can just drive right in and plug it in. Still, I can see why ports on the back of the car would feel more natural, that's how gas cars are made. It all comes down to how you like to park and what feels right to you. There are pros and cons to both sets ups. I think the port on the front is more useful, especially when I'm in a hurry at a busy station!

Front-mounted ports, like on VinFast, can be really convenient at public stations, especially if the layout allows you to just pull straight in and charge without worrying about reversing or awkward angles. On the flip side, rear-mounted ports, which are more common, tend to feel more familiar, especially for those used to traditional gas stations. They also work well if your home charger is set up for rear parking.

As for cord length, most charging stations have long enough cables, so it usually isn’t an issue. it comes down to what’s easiest for you based on how and where you typically park! 👍

I’ve always wondered about that too! 🤔 I’ve had both front and rear charging ports on different EVs, and honestly, it seems like it’s mostly about design. The front-mounted port is awesome for nose-in parking at chargers, but sometimes it’s awkward at home if your charger’s set up for rear entry. I think centering the port, like you said, would make the most sense for versatility, but it’s probably a design choice. What’s your preference? parking in reverse or parking nose first?

You’re not alone in wondering about this! I’ve had my share of frustrations with charging cord lengths when the port and the charger don’t quite match up. A front port can definitely help with those “pull-in and plug” situations, but a rear port feels more like the traditional gas setup we’re used to. I’m curious if there’s an industry standard that will develop over time, but for now, I think it’s just about what works best for your parking habits! 😅

The lack of a standard charging port for electric vehicles is a problem. It's like when Apple finally changed their charging port to USB-C. It took them forever.

Join the VinFast VF 6 and VF 7 Community

Support, tutorials, and a friendly community

Back