Free VF8 charging problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adelantado

Reaction score
Those of us who snagged the "free charging" deal with our rides, how's it going? I know the program varies depending on reservation date, but has anyone actually gotten it to work smoothly? Seems like a few folks are having trouble - wondering if it's a common issue or if there's a trick to activating it.

I took advantage of a free charging deal but had to switch to a home charger. Turns out, it couldn’t be installed in my garage because of how my townhome is set up. Classic. To top it off, I ended up with a free charging plan from ChargeHub (for Canada) instead of ElectrifyAmerica (for the U.S.). If you're in this free charging deal, expect about a week of waiting. ChargeHub only works with EVGo chargers, not EA. So if the EA credits don't show up, that’s kinda shady, especially since the ChargeUp program promised three years of free EA charging. Total mess!

Mine’s been working fine! I’ve had no issues with the free charging so far. I got my VF8 in June, and it’s been smooth at both Electrify America and EVgo stations. Maybe check if your activation went through fully on the app? Sometimes it takes a bit of fiddling. Maybe an account error, payment error, account ID, or some weird geolocation error that doesn't match your car or app.

Yeah, It took some troubleshooting, but it’s good now. I ran into a few hiccups at first, but once I double-checked my VIN, app-ID, system-updates, and re-registered it with the charging networks, it’s been working okay-ish. Only violently reacts once a few times. Nothing big though. One trick I learned: make sure you’re using the right app for the specific network (like Electrify America) and have everything synced. If you're still having trouble, maybe try reaching out to customer service? Sometimes there's just a small glitch that needs fixing. It's annoying, but hey it is very economical in the long run.

What kind of issues are you seeing? I’ve been using the free charging without too many problems, but others having trouble too. Maybe it's a lemon? not sure about lemon laws in your state. What’s happening when you try to activate it? I wonder if the problem depends on the network or specific charging stations. Are you able to start charging at all, or does it stop mid-charge? What appears on the system indicator?

Could be a network-specific problem. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is tied to certain networks or locations. With free charging deals, there’s often a lot of fine print, like certain stations or charging speeds not being eligible. I had some minor issues with my VF8 at a local station, but it turned out to be a network issue, not the car or the program itself. Once I figured out which stations worked best, it’s been pretty smooth sailing. Might be worth experimenting with a few different stations or contacting VinFast support to see if there’s anything specific holding it up.

Join the VinFast VF 6 and VF 7 Community

Support, tutorials, and a friendly community

Back