DIY or No-DIY? Level 2 VinFast Home Charger Install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sip-of-coffee

Reaction score
VinFast threw in a free Level 2 Home Charger! Thinking about installing it myself, but wanted to see what others have done.

Seems the VinFast charger is hardwired, so no need for a separate NEMA 14-50 outlet. Anyone else install this themselves? For those who went the NEMA 14-50 route, I actually bought one by mistake. Loving the home charging setup so far. I hhooked it up and the charging speed seems decent plus the free year of public charging from VinFast doesn't hurt either!

Do you know much about electronics? If not, I wouldn't recommend installing it by yourself. You'll just need a 60-amp breaker and a 6/3 WG Romex wire and have it installed in the circuit breaker panel.

I installed mine myself! 💪 It’s a pretty straightforward process if you’re comfortable with electrical work. Make sure you double-check your grounding! The hardwired setup actually simplifies things a bit, but make sure you turn off the power at the breaker before starting. I used the instructions that came with the charger, plus a YouTube tutorial for good measure.

If you’ve got some basic tools, you should be good to go! If you’ve already got that NEMA 14-50 outlet, maybe you can repurpose it for something else? 🤔

VinFast threw in a free Level 2 Home Charger! Thinking about installing it myself, but wanted to see what others have done.

Seems the VinFast charger is hardwired, so no need for a separate NEMA 14-50 outlet. Anyone else install this themselves? For those who went the NEMA 14-50 route, I actually bought one by mistake. Loving the home charging setup so far. I hhooked it up and the charging speed seems decent plus the free year of public charging from VinFast doesn't hurt either!

Personally, I opted to have a licensed electrician install mine. I know DIY is tempting, especially with how expensive installations can get, but dealing with high-voltage systems can be tricky. Plus I'm admittedly a noob on mechanics. 😅

My electrician did the hardwiring in under an hour and also inspected my panel to make sure it could handle the extra load. I’d recommend going this route if you want peace of mind. Plus, in some areas, not having a professional do it might void your home insurance. 😵

I installed mine myself! 💪 It’s a pretty straightforward process if you’re comfortable with electrical work. Make sure you double-check your grounding! The hardwired setup actually simplifies things a bit, but make sure you turn off the power at the breaker before starting. I used the instructions that came with the charger, plus a YouTube tutorial for good measure.

If you’ve got some basic tools, you should be good to go! If you’ve already got that NEMA 14-50 outlet, maybe you can repurpose it for something else? 🤔

I haven’t installed mine yet, but I’m on the fence about doing it myself. I love a good DIY project, but electrical stuff makes me a little nervous. I was thinking about at least getting a quote from an electrician to see if it’s worth the trouble. 🤷‍♂️

For anyone who’s done it themselves, was there anything tricky about the hardwiring part? I’ve already got the tools, but not sure if I should give it a go or leave it to the pros. 😅

I went the NEMA 14-50 route instead of hardwiring, mainly because I like the flexibility. 👌

If I ever move or upgrade my EV, I can just unplug and take the charger with me. I did have an electrician install the outlet though, just to be safe. The charging speeds are great either way, and with VinFast’s free year of public charging, I feel like I’ve got the best of both worlds. 😅 I’d say it depends on whether you want a more permanent setup or something more flexible for the future.

Join the VinFast VF 6 and VF 7 Community

Support, tutorials, and a friendly community

Back