Super slow charging new VF8

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

certifiedFresh

Reaction score
My best friend just picked up his brand new VF8 and finally got to try charging it last night with a Level II charger. He plugged it in at 32% and woke up to... 57%! 8 hours for 25% seems WAY off for Level II. The charging port light looked good too. Anyone else experience this crazy slow charging? He's feeling like how can he use an EV if it takes forever to charge? He's got a service appointment scheduled, but this is not the first impression he was hoping for!

My best friend just picked up his brand new VF8 and finally got to try charging it last night with a Level II charger. He plugged it in at 32% and woke up to... 57%! 8 hours for 25% seems WAY off for Level II. The charging port light looked good too. Anyone else experience this crazy slow charging? He's feeling like how can he use an EV if it takes forever to charge? He's got a service appointment scheduled, but this is not the first impression he was hoping for!
Did he check the charging rate? Maybe the setting was set on low, that might explain why it took so long to charge.

sounds frustrating, especially for a new EV! what charger did you get? is it from a dealer? For a Level 2 charger, getting just a 25% increase in 8 hours is definitely not normal. A healthy Level 2 charger should be delivering somewhere around 7-11 kW per hour, so something's off here. It could be a problem with the charger itself, a software issue, or even the onboard charging system. Glad he’s got a service appointment lined up; they should be able to run diagnostics to figure out what's causing the slow charging speed.

that’s definitely not the kind of experience anyone would expect with a new EV! 😕 I’ve been hearing some issues with slow charging on a few VF8s, and it must be a letdown. Hopefully, the service appointment can shed some light on what’s happening. It could be as simple as a software update or a problem with the charger rather than the car itself. Fingers crossed they can get it sorted out quickly! EVs are supposed to make life easier, not harder.

8 hours for 25% is seriously rough. 😖 I had a similar issue with my VF8 when I first got it, and it turned out to be a software glitch with the car’s charging system. After a quick update, everything worked fine, and now I get a full charge overnight no problem. It could also be worth double-checking the charger’s output or trying a different one just to rule out any problems there. Hopefully, your friend’s service appointment will get to the bottom of it!

There’s definitely something off if the Level 2 charger is that slow, it should be way faster than that! A lot of times, with new EVs, there can be some bugs to work out, so it’s great that a service appointment is already set up.

In the meantime, your friend could try rebooting the car or even using a different charger to see if that helps at all. Sometimes, a quick reset can do wonders! Once everything is sorted out, he’s going to love how convenient the charging can be. trust me, it makes a huge difference in the daily routine. 🤞

Join the VinFast VF 6 and VF 7 Community

Support, tutorials, and a friendly community

Back